Michael Jordan’s finals record was 6-0. His Bulls teams went 24-11 in NBA Finals games. Jordan won all six Finals MVP awards in his six championship seasons. His teams defeated five different teams in the finals: the Lakers, Trailblazers, Suns, Sonics, and Jazz.
Table of Contents
What Was Michael Jordan’s Finals Record?
Michael Jordan went 24-11 in games in his six trips to the NBA Finals with the Chicago Bulls. He won all six series.
|84-85||Lost 1st Round||1-3||Milwaukee Bucks|
|85-86||Lost 1st Round||0-3||Boston Celtics|
|86-87||Lost 1st Round||0-3||Boston Celtics|
|87-88||Lost East Semis||1-4||Detroit Pistons|
|88-89||Lost East Finals||2-4||Detroit Pistons|
|89-90||Lost East Finals||3-4||Detroit Pistons|
|90-91||Won NBA Finals||4-1||LA Lakers|
|91-92||Won NBA Finals||4-2||Portland Trailblazers|
|92-93||Won NBA Finals||4-2||Phoenix Suns|
|93-94||DID NOT PLAY||Played Baseball|
|94-95||Lost East Semis*||2-4||Orlando Magic|
|95-96||Won NBA Finals||4-2||Seattle SuperSonics|
|96-97||Won NBA Finals||4-2||Utah Jazz|
|97-98||Won NBA Finals||4-2||Utah Jazz|
*Jordan re-joined the Bulls late in the 94-95 season.
Michael Jordan retired after his sixth NBA Finals victory in 1998.
He then returned for two more years playing for the Washington Wizards in 2001-2002 and 2002-2003. Neither of those teams made the playoffs.
Who Did Michael Jordan Beat in the NBA Finals?
- In 1991 MJ and the Bulls beat a Los Angeles Lakers team featuring Magic Johnson in his last NBA Finals. That Lakers team still had Byron Scott and Big Game James Worthy but also included a 22-year-old Vlade Divac.
- In 1992, Jordan and the Bulls defeated a Portland Trailblazers team featuring Clyde Drexler. Drexler was Jordan’s 1992 Dream Team teammate, but was his opponent in the NBA Finals that year.
- In 1993, Jordan, Pippen, Horace Grant and the rest of the Bulls beat another of Jordan’s Dream Team teammates: Charles Barkley and his Phoenix Suns. The Round Mound of Rebound was joined by Kevin Johnson and Dan Majerle among others.
- In 1996 Jordan, Pippen and the Bulls, now joined by Dennis Rodman, defeated the Seattle SuperSonics. The Sonics featured the young duo of The Glove Gary Payton and The Reign Man Shawn Kemp.
- In 1997 Jordan and the Bulls beat the Utah Jazz. The Jazz featured the Hall of Fame duo of Karl Malone and John Stockton.
- In 1998 His Airness and the Bulls once again defeated the Jazz. The Jazz were still led by aging all-time greats Stock and the Mailman.
Who Did Michael Jordan Lose To In the NBA Finals?
Michael Jordan never lost in the NBA Finals. He went an impressive 6–0 in his Finals career.
There is actually a decent list of players who went undefeated in NBA Finals – many of them are Jordan’s teammates, however!
Of the non-Jordan teammates, there are some notable names. They include:
- Robert Horry who went 7-0 in the NBA Finals. Big Shot Bob won finals with three different teams – the Rockets, Spurs and Lakers.
- John “Hondo” Havlicek, KC Jones and Satch Sanders who each went 8-0 for the Boston Celtics in the NBA Finals.
- George Mikan who went 5-0 in the Finals for the Lakers.
How Many Finals MVPs Did Michael Jordan Win?
As an affiliate, I earn from qualifying purchases. If you click and purchase, I may receive a small commission at no extra cost to you
Michael Jordan won six Finals MVP awards in his career.
- In 1991 Jordan won his first Finals MVP after averaging 31 points, 11 assists and 6 rebounds per game for the series.
- In 1992 MJ won his second Finals MVP after averaging 36 points, 6.5 assists and 5 boards per game in the Finals.
- In 1993 Michael Jordan won his 3rd, and 3rd straight, NBA Finals MVP. He averaged an incredible 41 points, 6 assists and 8.5 rebounds per game in the Finals.
- In 1996 Jordan won his fourth Finals MVP averaging 27 points, 4 assists and 5 rebounds in the six game series.
- In 1997 MJ won his fifth Finals MVP award. He averaged 32 points, 6 assists and 7 rebounds per game in the Finals.
- In 1998 Jordan won his sixth and last Finals MVP award. He averaged 33 points, 2 assists and 4 rebounds per game for the series.
How Does Michael Jordan’s Finals Record Compare to Other Great NBA Players?
Obviously, since he was undefeated, Michael Jordan has the highest winning percentage possible in the NBA Finals. You can see how that record compares to other NBA greats below. I would think he’d trade records with Bill Russell if given the chance, but no one else can match Michael Jordan’s incredible NBA Finals record.
Click the links to read my articles on the Finals record for each of these all-time NBA greats.
|Player||NBA Finals Record|
Summary: Michael Jordan’s Finals Record
Michael Jordan went undefeated in the NBA Finals. His Bulls teams went 6-0 in NBA Finals series and 24-11 in NBA Finals games. Jordan won all six Finals MVPs in his six NBA Championship seasons.
Featured Image Photo Credit: Adapted from
I have been a Boston sports fan for more than forty years. I write about games, players and seasons from the past.